Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A look back...

So today, I got a message from my mom on FaceBook. The "conversation" as FB refers to it, showed an excerpt from earlier messages -- this is what I read:

"Just thinking about some hurtful things that were said to me on the school bus, and it was of course about my weight... anyway, with raising Maegan, I know I need to be setting the example for her for leading a healthy life, and sometimes I let the words of these girls echo in my head and then I get that defeated feeling, and I need to break the cycle... it's the same with the way Grandma treats me -- I need to learn how to get past those words and not let them effect me. I just really want to help Maegan never be fat so she won't have to experience those hurtful things that "Mean Girls" do ... ya know?"

I wrote that to my mom in November of 2010 -- well before I started Body Back. You see, my decision to start Body Back was being made even back then, only I didn't know it! I was struggling with letting go and moving forward and getting healthy to be a role model for my children.

Here I am 9 months later and 47 lbs. lighter and running a mile in under 14 minutes. I'm amazed at how far I have come. I'm happy that I have such supportive friends family that help me get here and remind me to keep going, but to take it one step at a time. I am beyond happy that I have made these changes in my life! From 288+ down to 241 since March 1 -- I've lost more than my son weighs (just 10 lbs. less than what my oldest child weighs). I just hope that my kids are comprehending these changes and applying the healthy habits to their own life.

On a side note: My run today was a difficult 3 miles. Difficult only because I was pushing myself to run faster. That's why I opted for the shorter 3 miles rather than the longer 4. Running 3 comfortably is no problem now, today I needed to get out of my comfort zone and work on picking up my speed. If I were to run 4, I would not have been able to maintain the increase in speed. So, I ran harder, and Kay and Angie pushed me to finish hard -- and I did. I finished my 3 miles in under 45 minutes! In all actuality, I finished at a pace under 14 minutes! -- Part of our run was a little eventful. As we rounded a corner (using the sidewalk rather than the road), we got back down on the road for the home stretch of our run, when a car came barreling toward us. We both had to jump out of the way. We don't believe the woman ever saw us, even though there was plenty of day light and I'm not really an easy target to miss. Angie had on a tomato red top, so we were clearly visible. I think someone needs to find that woman and start a caffeine IV STAT! She had to have been half asleep or not paying attention... I seriously hope she didn't do it on purpose! She scared the mess out of me. Maybe even shaved a couple of years off my life.

The reason why I am attempting to improve my speed, is that I am running the Disney Halloween 5K in October. We have to have a pace better than 16 minutes/mile. I'm trying to get my time closer to the 13 minutes/mile range, so I can feel good and strong about my race.

It's Wednesday, and I'm taking the kids to swim with my cousin this afternoon, so I'd better get busy getting prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment