Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hill Sprints anyone???

This morning I faced the biggest physical challenge of my life (besides 58 hours of labor... and actually, I think this was even more difficult, because at the end of the 58 hours, they did a c/s so I didn't have to do the REALLY hard work) ANYWAY, It was over 80 degrees at 6 a.m. this morning and humidity was at 96%. Rachel decided this would be the "perfect" day for an outdoor workout. (I was hoping we'd be inside today.) She let us warm up inside, working on our running stance/posture. Then she told us we were heading out. Off we ran, up the hill, onto the new pavement and then after a ways, she stopped us and we did some bicep curls. Once we finished those, we were off running down the road a little further. She stopped us once again, this time to do some tricep work. Then she told us we would be doing 10 hill sprints. Don't know that that is? Let me describe a hill sprint for you. You are standing at the bottom of a moderately steep hill (remember it is over 80 degrees with 96% humidity), and then she tells you to sprint to the top of the hill... once at the top, you turn and slow jog or walk down to "recover" -- and repeat 9 more times. Rachel ran with me on my 2nd one. I said, "This is only 2, I wish I were on 8!" by the 6th sprint, I was feeling the urge to puke, my side was beginning to ache, but I was not about to give up. Many of the girls in class ran with me in spurts encouraging me not to give up. I was panting. By the 8th sprint, my thighs and hip flexors were feeling fatigued. When I got to the top, Rachel said, ONE MORE, we are out of time! SOOOOOOOOOOO, I descended the hill one last time, turned around and faced that hill for the last time. I chugged up the hill the best I could, still moving in a run, but feeling my thighs shaking with every step. I looked as though I had run through a car wash. There was not a dry spot to be found on me. My hair was stuck to my face. I walked part the way back to the TreeHouse. But then I knew I needed to run into the TreeHouse to finish out the class. Michelle ran with me and carried my water. I was so very grateful! We brought up the rear. I felt good though. No, I felt sick, but I felt amazing! I DID IT! We all said our "Mantra" before we did our hill sprints... mine as you know, is Philippians 4:13 -- and during my run, at one point, Angel looks at me and says "HIS Strength" -- just those words helped move me up that hill! I may not have gotten all 10 sprints in, but I never gave up and if we'd had more time, I would have pushed through that 10th sprint with more determination than I had on any other sprint.

If I can give myself one area of praise, it would be my never give up attitude. Even if it is hurting me, I can't give up. If I give up, it's saying I have no trust in the body and physical ability that I have been given. I have to push through, because no matter what I am going through, it pales in comparison to what my Savior did for me... and if this body is His temple, then I can endure anything and HE is with me and pulling me along when I think I can't move another inch... He is giving me HIS strength to meet the challenge! His strength is perfect when my strength is gone! How awesome is that???!!! This journey to get my body back is as much a spiritual journey as it is a physical journey.

So while I seemingly hated every minute of class this morning, reflecting back on it: I did something I NEVER believed I could do. I stuck through it when the going got tough. I met a challenge head on. I am happy that I did it. I guess it is true that you never regret a workout!

I won't post my whole food journal for today, but I will post a recipe from dinner:

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water or chicken stock/broth
3 cups baby spinach
1/2 vidalia onion diced
1 tsp minced garlic (more if you'd like)
3 tbsp parmesan cheese

Heat a skillet to medium high (I used Pam cooking spray Olive Oil, but you can use regular olive oil if you prefer), cook onion and garlic until onion is translucent and soft stirring often. Add quinoa and cook for about 2 minutes, until it is a golden brown. Add water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to low. Simmer on low for 12 minutes. Add spinach at 12 minutes, let spinach wilt down as you stir it in. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the mixture. Once spinach is the consistency you desire and all water is evaporated, add your parmesan cheese. Serve warm.

I at 1/2 cup prepared with 4 oz of Salmon... FANTASTIC dinner! SO filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment